Thursday, October 1, 2009

Do twins really feel each other's pain?

What comes to mind when you think of twins? For a lot of people, I think of it as a way of life. I am a fraternal twin and my twin brother's name is Lucas. When people find out we are twins, mostly get a reaction of "what is it like?" and "really, thats so cool! But the most common questions we get... "can you hear what each other is thinking?" or "can you feel each other's pain?". When asked this, Lucas and I always answer, "No, this isn't the circus". Until it happened, or at least maybe it happened.

When we were seniors in high school, my twin brother was a starter on the Varsity Hockey Team. Like a good sister would, I attended all the games to show my brother support and some school spirit. They were playing our rivals, and it was the biggest game of the year. With only 3 minutes left of the game, the Tigers (our high school team) had possession of the puck. My brother took the puck down to their zone with ease, when suddenly he was checked into the boards from behind. It looked like he had done a back flip.

Then suddenly, I felt this shooting pain down my spine. I wasn't pushed or anything, just an immense shot, as if someone has punched me in the back. I screamed, and ran closer to the boards to get a closer look. With tears in my eyes, for my pain and my brother, I couldn't understand what happened. He didn't get up for what seemed like forever, then finally he got up, looked at me, tapped the glass and smiled. I knew he was fine, but what happened to me? What was the pain I felt?

Maybe it was just the shock of seeing my brother get hurt, but maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was the fact that twins really can feel each other's pain and emotion. I have no idea, but it was something that only Lucas, my twin brother, and I experienced.

8 comments:

  1. I think that twins are so cool. Especially because things like this could happen. I know most people probbaly wouldn't believe stuff like that. I'm not a twin but I think it wuold be so cool to be one. I think it's very interesting that you and your brother shared this. There must have been some connection with the whole being twins thing. Being that you truly do feel each other's pain. sooo emma you should definitely have your bro come and visit :) <3 jennn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote a essay about this for this class its called ESP (extrasensory perception)i learned alot about it. Its crazy hearing all the stories that twins have about experiencing. Thats pretty cool that you experienced it. There was this one story about twin sisters both in different countries one night one twin went into labor the other sister didnt know that. She had really bad pain in her abdomen and was dreaming about holding a baby. I thought that was pretty cool. Hope if you ever have kids you brother doesnt feel your pain then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It is always extraordinary to hear about such instances. I do have brothers but I never had the fortune of having a twin. It is hard for an outsider to really understand these sort of connections but hearing stories like so are compelling to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woww this is amazing, i would hear people talk about stuff like this all the time but i never believed that it was actually true, it is good to read a story like this. it must be really cool to have a twin.i wish i had one. loll

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing stories like this! Your lucky your brother didn't get seriously injured. I would love having a twin. Thats a bond that never could be broken. I don't know where to find a youtube post but there is a video of twin babies and they are months old laying facing each other they are just making noises but it looks as if they are having a conversation. Im a skeptic but I like to believe that twins have this sense of feelings or the other twins. Think about identical twins you have the same exact body but the only thing that is different are you personalities and your thinking. I hope the science comes out to prove this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA well to set it straight I'm a twin and I firmly believe this is true. I just had a freaky twin experience and I believe that there is a connection. My brother suffered from abdominal pains and had to go to the hospital. Later that week I too suffered from abdominal pains that were so bad it kept me up until 7 in the morning. It was a little delayed but it still happened. I thought the whole thing was really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story gave me chills Emma! It's crazy to think that something like that would actually happen. It a very interesting topic that I wish there were a clear answer to. Any other interesting situations like this? Glad your brother was ok and good luck with the entire thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. idk if i believe that junk..i mean how do we know ur not making up a bunch of bs...it would be cool if u were telling the truth bc thats awesome. i kinda wish i had a twin at times, idk i tihnkn it would be cool, like id assume we would liek the same things and id always have some one to talk to or play with.

    ReplyDelete